‘WILLIAM HOPKINSON OF BRIGHOUSE’
Lifeboat arrives and is immediately christened
The old Lifeboat which has done good service in rescuing many a sailor and fishermen from a watery grave was taken from Newbiggin on January 13th, 1866 by her gallant crew to Longhirst Station where the new one was expected to be in readiness for removal to Newbiggin. The new boat did not however arrive until 8.00pm. The ceremony of launching and naming was in consequence deferred until Monday at noon when Captain Robertson – in an appropriate speech – handed over the boat to the Reverend R. Mangin, rector who accepted the trust in the name of the brave fishermen of Newbiggin and concluded by invoking the divine blessing on the enterprise. Mrs. Mangin named the vessel the ‘William Hopkinson’. The launching then took place amidst hearty cheers of an immense multitude of spectators who had assembled on the beach to witness the proceedings. The crew of the Lifeboat and the fishermen generally cannot let this opportunity to pass without recording their feelings of deep gratitude to the Lifeboat Institution, to Captain Robertson, the Institution’s representative, to the generous lady Miss Hopkinson of Brighouse, West Yorkshire-for the magnificent contribution this noble boat. The fishermen endorse the sentiments which fell from the Secretary’s lips, they accept the trust committed to their charge praying that the same ever ruling providence which has hitherto watched over and sustained, will continue to bless the noble enterprise with which they have the honour to be associated. The Coxswain begs to acknowledge the receipt of a donation to the crew of the Lifeboat from a friend, an occasional resident of Newbiggin. The crew responded to the sentiment of long life, health and happiness to the worthy donor in a round of hearty cheers. Between 1866 and 1885, 103 lives were saved with this Lifeboat.